A lunchtime topic came up today regarding Web Analysts and Conversion Optimization specialists. We started debating what each job was all about, what the similarities were, what the differences were, and whether you could be good at both.
Before I dive into my own thoughts and observations on this topic, let me try to answer a crucial question:
Why should I read this post? What’s in it for me?
Fair enough. I respect your time, so IMO you should read this post if:
- You are thinking about a career shift from one discipline to another (e.g. Web Analyst to Conversion Optimization Specialist).
- You are developing Conversion Optimization practices within your organization, and wondering if internal resources can help fill gaps.
- You are recruiting externally for either skill set, and wondering about the overlaps, differences, etc.
- You work with either Web Analysts or Conversion Optimization specialists, and want to understand better “how they tick.”
- You are early in your career, have interest in both, but want to know which discipline to focus on when developing your skills.
We good? Onward! Continue reading